Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bakeshop: Quick Breads

This afternoon in Bakeshop, we made Quick Breads. Quick Breads include things like muffins, biscuits, Irish soda bread, and the like. Quick Breads use leavening agents like baking powder and baking soda. Today, some people made zucchini bread, some cranberry nut bread, and I made banana nut bread. In other courses, I have been using a digital scale to weigh my ingredients. This afternoon, I used a baker's scale, which was a new learning experience. Here's a baker's scale:



The scoop here is that I am much more comfortable with a digital scale and find them absolutely easier to use than the baker's scale. But knowing how to use multiple types of equipment is important, so you do what you gotta do even when it takes longer. So, nothing too special here, but these are my breads:



All in all, today was pretty spectacular. I can't even fully explain to you how excited I am to have survived the transition during this first week. I have already learned so much. It is quite incredible. I am already pumped for next week.

I hope you've enjoyed following my first week back in school. Please, become a follower of my blog! And write comments or email me! I'd love to hear more from you!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting a new adventure, Carol! Love the blog so far...I'll definitely be following along. Can't wait to see all the cool stuff you'll be learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Justine - great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to remind myself not to read this in the morning before I've had breakfast. Now I've got a hankering for some banana bread.

    (Sorry about the delete above. Typos abound.)

    ReplyDelete