Sunday, December 5, 2010

Phanatic 2.0

You may recall that I made the Philly Phanatic for my "dead dough" project in my Artisan Breads class earlier in the semester. About a week after the project, the Phanatic could no longer support his own weight and he fell to the ground. Luckily, he broke in such a way that his body and head remained in tact. His legs broke and part of the field he was standing on cracked, so I spent some time over the past few days repairing him. I also made some adjustments.

After I recreated the playing field base, I decided I would display the Phanatic facing the outfield instead of facing home plate. I also decided he needed a sturdier base in order to support himself, so I made a giant baseball - it's actually pretty close to real size - that he could sit on. I reconstructed his legs in a more suitable fashion. I also made a bat and a pennant. Since he is still holding his bread plate, I chose to keep his bread peel and I made some additional bread pieces like pretzels to scatter on the field. All in all, I am really pleased with the upgrade. Here's a few photos so you can see the new and improved project.

I'll be taking the project on the drive home to PA so he can enjoy his new home at my parents house. My mom is anxious to see him in person and to put him on display. Let's just hope he survives the drive in one piece because I'm not quite sure I'd have the patience for a third reconstruction!

1 comment: