Monday, November 29, 2010

Pumpkin Sponge Cake



In today's cakes class, we had our final practical exam. Earlier in the semester, we had to submit a recipe for a three-layer cake with a filling and an icing. Chef challenged us to be creative while drawing on what we learned throughout the semester.

Over the past two months, I have been working on my recipe. My cake (which I previewed in my Thanksgiving post) is a Pumpkin Sponge Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling, Gingersnaps and Chantilly Cream. On top of each cake layer is the cinnamon cream cheese filling. I then sprinkle on top the crushed gingersnap cookies. And I am pleased to announce that I did not overwhip my chantilly cream. The sides of my cake, the top of my cake, and my rosettes looked great. And let me tell you, it is seriously delicious.

No, seriously, it's not just my opinion. My friends Sarah and Gilly from class both liked it the first time they tasted it earlier in the semester. My friends Coleman and Brit liked it when they visited in October. My friend Bridget liked it when I took her a piece in October. My landlord and her family called it the best cake they ever ate. And my family - Joe, Jen, and Mark - gobbled it up over the Thanksgiving weekend. Not to mention, Chef and my classmates liked it as well.

I am really proud of myself today. I worked really hard on this cake, and I've worked really hard all semester to improve my cake decorating skills. It was definitely worth the time (and money, seriously, lots of money) that I spent working on this recipe. Who knows - maybe it could become my signature fall cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment