Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chocolate Mousse Torte

In yesterday's cakes class, we made a Chocolate Mousse Torte. This is three layers of devil's food cake and three layers of chocolate mousse iced with chocolate chantilly cream. It is absolutely decadent and delicious, if chocolate is your thing.



My cake should really be called the "overwhipped" chocolate mousse torte because, yet again, I struggled with the silly chantilly cream and almost had a breakdown. It's not that I expect to be perfect, because I'm 100% sure I will never make a perfect cake; but I know how overwhipping happens and I know it's not correct and I try everything in my power to prevent it from happening but it does. And then I get frustrated and then I get annoyed at myself for being frustrated about icing on a cake, and you know, it's just a crazy vicious cycle.

My friend Sarah is pretty optimistic and tries to balance my negativity in class, and she kept pushing me to say that I did the best job I could with what I had to work with, and she was right. I did do the best I could. And in reality, my icing skills are getting much better. In fact, over the weekend, I made a cake at home with chantilly cream and I absolutely nailed it - no seriously, it worked the way it was supposed to. So, I'm still trying to find the balance with cakes and I'm determined to get it. And in all honestly, this mousse torte would be a pretty good one to practice with - it was amazingly delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment