Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Plated Desserts

Last week in my Bakeshop class, we made different types of pound cake and different types of brownies and blondies. The pound cakes were plain, marble (plain with chocolate), or lemon. Some of the brownies were fudge and some were cream cheese. The blondies had chocolate chips and nuts. After a day of baking on Tuesday, we then used these to make a simple plated desserts on Thursday.

This is my classical plated dessert.



The "couli" - which is the sauce on the plate - was originally five circles that matched the size differentiation of the sponge cake - you get the point. Anyway, classical plated desserts have specifications - they have to contain 3-5oz of the dessert itself, 1 oz minimum of a sauce, a fresh fruit garnish, chantilly cream, and the dessert must have some amount of flour.

For our second plated dessert, we made a contemporary plate, which doesn't have any specifications really. Anything goes. This is what I came up with.



This is an exercise that isn't the easiest thing in the world for me - the artistic and creative stuff is challenging for me, but I really enjoyed it. And "Plated Desserts" is a full course I can take in the future, so I'm sure there will be some good opportunities there to expand some skills. Not anytime soon though.

No comments:

Post a Comment